Monday, February 21, 2011

Not So Door Wreath!

Can you hear it.......can you feel it?! Ahhh.....yes, it finally feels like Spring is on it's way! After a looong cold winter, I'm so excited to be able to do some projects for the outside! Now when I paint something outside it actually dries!lol On Friday I was ready to take down that unimaginative blah remnant of Christmas and winter wreath that was on my door.....I just got tired of looking at those pine cones! I was ready to do my usual switch out of winter wreath to spring wreath....when I noticed, it was looking pretty sad! The butterflies on them looked like they've been through a battle, and the the pretty spring green it once had was starting to look grey. So I decided I wanted something different....something new....not your usual door wreath. I wanted it to reflect the colors inside my home.....and be able to leave it up through all the seasons. Well, remember when I told you I have this infatuation with twigs, and birds....with the use of stuff I had around the house.....this is what I came up with!

I used an old picture frame, 2 pieces of clear acrylic, some artificial twigs with berries, and the tiebacks I didn't end up using from the curtains in my kitchen.

First I painted the old picture frame white with acrylic paint and sprayed it with clear acrylic sealant after it dried......Then I drew a picture of birds on the clear acrylic (or you could do it on the glass from the frame) with a permanent marker on the back side. You will also fill it in with paint at least 3 coats on the back side. So when you turn it right side up...the paint will look smooth.


I used clear acrylic because it was much lighter and safer than glass since it was going to be placed on the front door. I used two sheets (one I painted on and the other I placed on the back side of the picture to protect it) which I got from one of those cheap kid frames that I bought for 1 dollar.


Your wreath could be made with anything you desire....I know you're thinking that's not very spring like......but again use things that you love.....flowers, leaves, twigs, the possibilities are endless! Make it a reflection of what you love and what you want everyone to see as a reflection of your home.

I tied the twigs together with floral wire and screwed on the four corners of the frame, on top and bottom picture hooks so that I could wind the floral wire through it and attach it to the wreath.


Use any wide ribbon you like and attach it to the back of the frame.  


And there you go......a great alternative to the usual wreath! You could place anything you like inside the frame.....from pictures to quotes or just good ol' "Home Sweet Home." :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment


About Me

I am a mom with three boys (that includes my husband) that keeps me on my toes. I love anything artistic. Back in the day, what I call B.C. "Before children" I was very active in the art community and I had all the time in the world to paint my heart away. Now I have changed my focus on family and express my creativity in small projects. In this blog I will be sharing my love for Art, Painting, Design, DIY's, Photography and just being Crafty.